Saturday, June 7, 2008

Murphy And His Law

Now Murphy (though a fictional fellow), was a smart man. He's probably come closest to having all the answers to our existence than the non-fictional sect of philosophers.
And what was this wise man's theory? Ahh, the wise man he said :"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way." Now that my firends is life in a nutshell! At least my life in a nutshell.

How else would you possibly explain when your calculator stops working right in the middle of a math exam? Or when you spill something indelible on the sofa, just when you're expecting company? Or when you realize at the checkout counter that you've left your wallet at home! Ooh..or when the presentation that you spent all night preparing, doesn't open on the day it's due?

Sure we may complain (and don't we just love to do that), but if you think about it, how terribly bland would it be if nothing ever went wrong? If that guitar string didn't snap in the middle of a serenade, or if the mustard from your hot dog didn't spill over on your new shirt..where would all the punchlines go? So much for witty conversation at dinner parties or any narration beginning with 'You'll never believe what happened to me the other day!..' People would just rant on about their perfect lives..their horrendously boring perfect lives!

So, I think every mishap happens for a reason; that it serves a greater purpose of sorts. I might not necessarily feel the same way at the point where i'm the victim, but hey, at least i'll have a story to tell!
And I take your leave with this borrowed verse:

I never had a slice of bread,
Particularly large and wide,
That did not fall upon the floor,
And always on the buttered side.


Cheers.




2 comments:

Jo Sparrow said...

Hahaha, love the verse! I have more to say but I have to run now...I will be back with more :D

Jo Sparrow said...

I'm back! Like I was saying, I really enjoyed this post :) I love Murphy! And he's right too. I hate public speaking (as if you didn't already know that!) and years ago I was forced to participate in an inter-school debate. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had to pick lots to choose which school and which speaker would go first. Guess whose name turned up? Yup, twas mine. Sure instances like these make interesting stories to tell and they actually sustain certain conversations, but I'd rather keep most of them to myself! Hahaha!