Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Stereotypically Stereotypical!

Stereotype: A fixed, commonly held notion or image of a person or group, based on an oversimplification of some observed or imagined trait of behaviour or appearance.

I never did understand stereotyping. I've always thought it's society's way of making things easier. Think of it this way..the universe is one big filing cabinet and each individual being it's files; the secretary is society personified, and the act of arranging each file chronologically a metaphor for stereotyping.
The need to classify the 'geek' or the 'intellectually challenged' is beyond me. I am yet to find one person that fits each shoe perfectly.
Take me for example: I hate to cook, yet love to clean (domestically-adept or domestically-challenged?). My taste in music has no boundaries (not a rocker, not a hippie?). I adore both a good crossword and a challenging sudoku (words AND numbers?). I appreciate the occassional chick flick and war movie too (man or woman??). I'm cool with fast food for lunch and fine dining for dinner (Filet Mignon with FrenchFries?). 

Quite the stereotypical nightmare eh? Here..let me help classify me. As proclaimed from the wise saying on a friend's t-shirt: 'I am what i am.'


Think about it..cheers.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

:D im so proud to call u my friend .. infact my best friend!

love this blog!!!

Jo Sparrow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo Sparrow said...

So true. I've always thought of myself as being completely different from everyone. Of course, that's because I'm a bit of a loon :P
However, you're so right. Everyone is different. It's as simple as that. I don't think I've ever met anyone who fit the bill as such. Stereotypes do make it easier but they're rarely if ever dead-on right. I was watching an episode of House recently in which the patient was a punk rocker who did drugs and whatnot. Oddly enough, he also enjoyed spending time with abandoned children and singing folksy songs to them! Who would've expected that?! Not me for sure. I guess I've just been conditioned to stereotype people. (Ack! I've become one of 'em! Nooooooo!!!)
Oh dear, I rambled on for a bit there, didn't I?
Oh well, you asked me to come here so you have no choice but to deal with it :P
Oh and need I tell you time and again that you write well? :D

PS: Forgot to mention in my previous comment; love the name of your blog :D :D

AdMan said...

Just to make a comment on jo sparrow's comment. About the name. Forget the rest of it, shush has always been a tube. With the starter burnt out. ;-)